CC Report 2005 Cardiff Demons 12 Walney Central 28

By Ian Golden at Taff’s Well RFC

Cardiff Demons went out of the Powergen Rugby League Challenge Cup at the first hurdle on Sunday as they lost 12-28 to a well-disciplined Walney Central side.

Walney took the lead after only five minutes. After a penalty conceded 20 metres out, Graham Newby broke down the left hand side working the ball across the face of the posts to Anthony Horton who dived over.

Cardiff levelled things on 17 minutes. A good run through the middle left debutant Matt Jackson with just one man to beat and he duly went under the posts.

But Walney went in to `half-time` with a `four-point` advantage following two Mark McKinley penalties. Demons could have had a try back but Pat Howell was stopped centimetres short of line.

McKinley added a third penalty just after `half-time` before a Steve Eddy try following a handling error on the line gave the visitors a `two-try` cushion.

A lengthy spell of Demons pressure followed by the superbly marshalled Walney defence stopped any breakthrough. Cardiff could have got back into the game but the normally accurate Gareth Jones missed a perfect chance as his 50th minute penalty sailed wide.

Following a lengthy spell of Demons pressure, Walney sealed the match with two quick tries in seven minutes. First Michael Robinson burrowed his way over in the corner then Sammy Costa scored a `well-worked` try in front of the posts.

However Demons never gave up hope as Jackson, who has impressed for UWIC over the winter, forced his way over for his second try following a `well-worked` move. But it was too little too late for the Welshmen as Walney go into Thursday nightâ€TMs draw.

CARDIFF DEMONS: Matt Jackson, Andrew Bradshaw, Rhodri Thomas, Neil Thomas, Andrew Bond, Gareth Jones, Lewis Francis, Dave Roberson, Mark Bow, Graham Hughes, Mark Dando, Anthony Loxton, John Byers. Subs: Pat Howell, Pete Gooding, Dewi Scourfield, Wayne Williams.

Tries: Jackson (17, 73). Goals: Jones 2/3.

WALNEY CENTRAL: Paul Eacott, Michael Ray, James Finch, Sammy Costa, Graham Newby, Mark McKinley, Brad Nicholls, Danny McBain, Michael Robinson, Ryan Wood, Anthony Horton, Alan Kendall, Gareth Kerr. Subs: Dave Warne, Steve Gody, Barry Butterworth.

Tries: Horton (5), Eddy (47), Robinson (63), Costa (69). Goals: McKinley 6/7.

Referee: Andrew Smith (Lancs)

Attendance: 220

Men of the Match: Demons: Matt Jackson. Cents: Danny McBain.

Gamestar: Danny McBain. Although he didn’t get onto the scoresheet, his hard work throughout the game was instrumental to Walney’s win.

Gamebreaker: Two tries just after the hour mark made sure that there was no way back for the Demons.