2010 Junior Grand Finals Day

2010 Under 13 Final – NPT Steelers 28 Bridgend 24

In the Welsh Under 13 Grand Final, the curtain raiser to South Wales Scorpions v York City Knights, Neath Port Talbot Steelers beat Bridgend Blue Bulls 28-24 in a thriller where the lead constantly changed hands. It was so close, the two teams even went in level at half-time 16-16.

Colton Jones scored a brace of tries for the Steelers. Ashley Bradley, Nathan Burbridge, David Davies and Harrison Evans, who converted twice, also went over for the local side.

The Blue Bulls were in the game all the way. Rowan Davies, Reuben Tooze, Gareth Rees-Evans, Ben Jones and Owen Watkin, who also converted twice, were the scorers for the gallant runners-up.


Under 15 Final – Penallta Storm 32 Panthers 28

Penallta Storm won their first of two Finals on Saturday but it took a 17-minute Golden Point extra time period for them to secure victory over the Pontyclun-based Panthers.

David Alleyne weaved through to give them a fifth minute lead but Panthers hit back straight away. James Little went under the sticks with Levi Knowles converting.

Storm regained the lead when Craig Jenkins ran half the length of the field. Lewis Barnett converted and they extended the advantage when Elliot Keep, selling a few dummies on the way, sprinted a similar distance.

Further tries from Barnett and Davies before half-time gave Storm what seemed an unassailable 24-6 half-time advantage, and straight after the break Joseph Scrivens took advantage of a fortunate bounce to score in the corner to extend the lead to 22 points.

Then came the comeback as Dan Hill, Dylan Lewis, Kent Birch and Connor Farrar all scored in quick succession, three of the tries converted by Knowles to level the scores at 28-all.

And with many chances for each side in the golden point extra time, including two missed field-goal attempts from the Panthers, it was Storm’s Elliot Keep who got the try that gave his side the title.


Under 17 Final – Penallta Storm 20 CPC Bears 18

Aled Jones may have been the star man for CPC Bears by scoring a hat-trick of tries but it the end it was the Storm who were walking in the air as they secured victory in the last minute thanks to a Chris Thomas try converted by David Hooper.

It was the only time that Penallta had been in the lead in the whole game and it was a disappointed end for the new boys from Carmarthen in a tight game.

Jones dived in to give the Bears a fourth minute lead but Craig Owen forced his way through minutes later to level things at 4-4.

It was soon 10-4, Jones again with Dafydd Evans converting, a Nathan Dix try goaled by Hooper brought it back to 10-10, before Jones completed his hat-trick to give his side a four point lead at the interval.

Good defence by both teams on their own lines made sure that there was no scoring until the last ten minutes before James Turrell dived over in the dying minutes to increase the Bears’ lead to 18-10.

However Josh Evans got a try back for Storm to put them within four points before Thomas’ try coolly converted by Hooper, secured the under 17 title for the Storm.