North Wales league kicks off with a shock result

Words and pic: Conrad Anderson

The North Wales League got into full swing at the weekend with Flint Castle providing a picturesque backdrop on the banks of the Dee Estury, and what a way to start a campaign. Last year’s Champions Flintshire Falcons were facing their neighbours Clwyd Cobras in what was an enthralling game in the sun. The Cobras playing their first ever game, won 56-30.

In the opening exchanges, Flintshire proved to get out of the blocks the quickest with the help of some early match nerves from the home side which presented the Falcons some early field possession and on seven mins the Falcons scored the first try through Lewis Tucker.

The Cobras responded immediately to level the scores on 10 minutes before taking the lead four minutes later, enjoying more possession from the Falcons mistakes. Alex Prince and Owain Davies going over.

It was quickly becoming a game of we score, you score as the Falcons regained the lead through tries from Ben Dobson and then the veteran Billy Forrester.

The Cobras kept the sequence going and registered a try through playmaker Toby Davies on the half hour.

It was a sucker punch straight after as the Cobras registered their final try of the first half through Evan Hurlow after a lengthy pause as a Cobras player was receiving some treatment. The Cobras edge the score 20-18 at half time.

The large crowd witnessed another score from the Cobras as Alex Prince went over to extend the lead on 45 minutes.

Flintshire Falcons quickly got back in the swing of things as Forrester registered his second try to make it a two-point game. 26-24.

The sea saw affair continued as the Cobras extended the lead once more with Owain Davies making it 32-24.

two more tries for the home side in five mins stretched the score a little further with both Toby Davies and Alex Prince adding to their tally. 46-24 to Falcons on 70 minutes.

Flintshire got a consolation try with Forrester getting his hat-trick before the Cobras put the icing on the cake with an Evan Hurlow try.