REPORT 2012 – Wigan Warriors 98-4 North Wales Crusaders

By Ryan Gould at the DW Stadium

Wigan Warriors made it through to the fifth round of the Carnegie Challenge Cup with a 98-4 thrashing of the North Wales Crusaders, but it was the Welshmen who had the last word.

Sam Tomkins ran in six tries in a master class performance, with Thomas Leuluai and Liam Farrell creating the majority of the home sides plays in which they scored.

The heart and effort was there from the North Wales Crusaders, but they were simply outclassed by a strong Wigan side, who’s exemplary execution of passes and attacking runs really hurt the defensive line of Crusaders.

Although several of the Warriors’ tries came out wide, several line breaks and superb support play to assist really did the damage.

The Crusaders managed to complete their first few sets, but Wigan soon kicked into gear early on. Debutant, Ryan King went over for the first try, with Carmont sending him in at the corner and Tomkins then got his first as he finished out wide.

The full back then got his second before Charnley and King both went in at the left corner, with New Zealander Thomas Leuluai the architect of them both. Farrell then scored his first of the hat trick in what was a great score. Tomkins broke from halfway, weaving in and out of the defence and he set up Farrell who was supporting to touchdown.

The Lancashire side then ran in three more before half time. Tomkins produced a carbon copy of his second, before he later linked up with Tuson and Leuluai for another and youngster Joe Mellor also crashed over from dummy half to finish of the scoring for the half.

The onslaught continued in the second half. Tomkins set up Charnley down the left, who cut inside to finish superbly and then Chris Tuson and Farrell both grabbed further tries within the first five minutes after the restart.

Prescott added another try before Sam Tomkins continued his try scoring spree with a 70 metre break, showing just too much speed as he raced away from covering defenders.

Farrell went over for his hat trick score later, with Charnley racing down the right wing, offloading to Tomkins infield, who’s slick one-handed pass fell to Farrell.

Logan Tomkins made it onto the score sheet just after he’d squandered an opportunity, just metres from the line. His brother rounded up Wigan’s scoring, with his sixth of the afternoon as he produced another break and ran the length of the field to score.

The second half was an improvement on the first and there were glimpses of exactly what the Wrexham side is capable of. Adam Walsh broke down the left late on, but his kick was taken in by full back Tomkins.

When Walsh attempted another kick through though, the break came and Owain Brown touched down for a try in the delight of the visiting supporters.

Field position for the try was set up by Andy Moulsdale, as he chipped over the Wigan defence on the fourth tackle. The Wigan defence wasn’t set and the ball was shifted into space on the right hand side. Adam Walsh was found and looked to be tackle into touch, but he got his kick in, just in time and Brown latched onto it and had the final word on proceedings.

Sam Tomkins
Josh Charnley
Darrell Goulding
George Carmont
Ryan King
Joe Mellor
Thomas Leuluai
Paul Prescott
Logan Tomkins
Epalahame Lauaki
Jack Hughes
Gareth Hock
Liam Farrell
Chris Tuson
Gil Dudson
Dom Crosby
Michael McIlorum

Tries: King 4, 23, S. Tomkins 9, 15, 30, 36, 55, 67, Charnley 19, 41, Farrell 26, 45, 59, Mellor 33, Tuson 43, Prescott 53, L. Tomkins 64, Crosby 73
Goals: Charnley (13/18)

Tommy Johnson
Adam Walsh
Sam Broadbent
Leon Brennan
Rob Massam
Andy Moulsdale
Jamie Durbin
Jonny Walker
Lee Hudson
Owain Brown
Iwan Brown
Jamie Clark
Jono Smith
Billy Sheen
Owain Griffiths
Chris Tyrer
Mark Harmon

Referee: George Stokes

HT: 48-0

MOTM: Sam Tomkins

Attendance: 4,198