South Wales Grand Finals Day 2012

On Sunday 19th of August at Virginia Park, Caerphilly a record crowd was treated to four spectacular Welsh finals. It was the first time in Wales Rugby League history where the Premier League Senior Conference final and the Junior Finals were held at the same venue.

The first game saw the Aber Valley Wolves play the Panthers in the U14’s Welsh Junior Final. The Panthers went into the match as favourites finishing the league campaign unbeaten but Aber Valley Wolves in their first season in rugby league pushed the Panthers all the way. The first half saw open rugby from both teams with Jack Thompson, Regan Wilson, Sion Jones and Zac Byard scoring tries for the Panthers and Ryan Davies and Connor Kawlock replying for the Wolves to make the half time score, Panthers 16 – 8 Wolves. The Wolves started the second half in spectacular fashion with a second try for Ryan Davies and converted by Liam Waters making the score 16 – 14. They then pressed on the Panthers line and an upset look on the cards, but superb defence kept the Wolves out and resulted in a try from Corrie Tarrant. The Panthers then went on to score 2 tries through Christian Bird and Scott Griffiths converted by Zac Byard with the Wolves adding a try through Connor Kawlock making the final score Panthers 30 Wolves 18. Panthers Sion Jones took the man of the match award with a barnstorming performance.

The Penallta Storm took the honours in U15’s Welsh Grand Final with an outstanding performance against a very experienced and previously unbeaten NPT Steelers. A five try first half blitz from the Storm saw both Lewis Alexander and Lloyd Bowman score a brace and Alex Stickler get on the scoring board with all the tries being converted by man of the match Arwel Robson. In response the Steelers scored 2 tries through Regan Grace converted by Jay Mcbride and Ben Howells making the half time score Storm 30 Steelers 10. The NPT Steelers rallied well after the break scoring tries through Regan Grace and Connor Davies both converted by Jay Mcbride, but a try from Patrick Lewis and goal by Arwel Robson halted the Steelers comeback. The final score was Storm 36 – Steelers 20.

The last Junior Final of the day saw the reigning U17’s champions Penallta Storm compete against this year’s newly formed Treharris Pheonix. The Storm eventually lifted the title with a 40 – 28 win but were pushed all the way by a plucky Pheonix team who showed they could play good football when they had possession. Storm try scorers were Man of the match Jack Condy, Rhys Fitzgerald Lewis Barnett, Ryan Davies(2), Elliot Keep and Ryan Davis, goals by Kane Greenslade(3) & Joseph Scrivens(1) with Pheonix scoring through Conor Jones(2), Sean Blunt, Nathan Evans and Andrew Llewellyn, goals by Sean Blunt(4)

Grand Finals day was another superb advert for the development of Rugby League in Wales and Wales Rugby League would like to thank all the Club volunteers and spectators in supporting the game in 2012.