By Ryan Gould at KC Stadium

North Wales Crusaders fell out of the Tetley’s Challenge Cup at the fourth round stage despite a valiant effort against a strong Hull FC outfit containing a number of their Super League stars.

Two Kirk Yeaman tries late in the first half gave the home side a 26-6 lead at the break, but it wasn’t until the closing stages of the game that Hull FC finished the tie off for good, as Crusaders started to tire and the difference in quality between the sides started to show.

After forcing repeat sets early on, North Wales had a chance to open the scoring when Roets attacked down the right wing, but the FC defence were more than a match and halted the centre short of the line.

It was Hull FC who opened the scoring for the afternoon as, after a Crusaders error just 10 metres out, Richard Horne hit a perfect line and touched down a pass from Westerman.

The home side increased their advantage almost immediately with a try through Joe Westerman, who managed to reach out to the line after palming off three Crusaders defenders in the build-up.

Ben Crooks added a third for FC from a delightful Richard Horne grubber, before North Wales hit back with a try. Captain Andy Moulsdale sent a high bomb to the corner, which was knocked forward by Tom Lineham, and Roets collected to dive over in the corner to the delight of the healthy travelling support.

However, the revival lasted just a matter of minutes as the Super League side hit back with a double from Yeaman down the left flank to enter the break with a 20-point lead.

Yeaman was denied his hat-trick try shortly after the restart, before Andy Gorski’s effort was ruled out for Crusaders, as a shove from Durbin on Andy Lynch was deemed to have forced the knock-on that gave Crusaders the opportunity to race clear and score.

North Wales did well to keep Hull out in the opening stages of the second half, but they finally cracked when, on 53 minutes, the home side spread the ball right and youngster Tom Lineham slid over in the corner.

James Cunningham crashed over from first receiver and Jamie Shaul, who was outstanding at fullback, finished off a Kirk Yeaman break, before the Black and Whites notched on a further four tries to detract from what was a competitive contest for much of the game.

Shaul added two further tries with breaks, and Horne and Yeaman also crossed to seal their double and hat-trick respectively for a flattering final scoreline.

29.Jamie Shaul
25.Tom Lineham
4.Kirk Yeaman
23.Ben Crooks
2.Jason Crookes
16.Richard Horne
33.Aaron Heremaia
17.Liam Watts
9.Danny Houghton
10.Andy Lynch
13.Joe Westerman
19.Jay Pitts
22.Josh Bowden
20.Paul Johnson
21.Chris Green
28.James Cunningham
27.Jack Briscoe

Tries: Horne 13, 73, Westerman 17, Crooks 24, Yeaman 34, 39, 80, Lineham 53, Cunningham 58, Shaul 66, 70, 75.
Goals: Westerman 4/7, Heremaia 3/5

1.Tommy Johnson
17.Stuart Reardon
3.Christiaan Roets
4.Leon Brennan
5.Rob Massam
6.Andy Moulsdale
7.Jamie Durbin
16.Ryan MacDonald
14.Dave McConnell
30.Owain Brown
12.Gary Middlehurst
15.Toby Adamson
11.Andy Gorski
27.Jamie Clarke
10.Phil Braddish
13.Jono Smith
9.Lee Hudson

Tries: Roets 30
Goals: Johnson 1/1

Referee: Chris Leatherbarrow
HT: 26-6
Attendance: 3,879