Merthyr Tydfil beat the Australians


The Kangaroos visited Merthyr last Saturday, and when the final whistle sounded a bare margin of a couple of points divided the teams. Having regard to the fact that the visitors were singularly unfortunate in the matter of injuries to players during the course of the game, and that for more than half-time Dobbs was a mere spectator owing to knee trouble, it must readily be conceded that Australia scarcely deserved to lose. In the closing stages they were going strong, outlasting their opponents.

The start was promising to the visitors, but after Harrison, by a corkscrew run and long touch-find-ing, had gained advantage, Walsh hurt his leg and left the field. A score, however, was not long postponed, and Harris, who narrowly missed drop- ping a goal, forced his way over from a scrummage. Janice’s kick struck the cross bar. Bolewski, Anlezark, and Morton were chiefly connected in a movement that led to a raid on the home citadel, and Morton from the quarter-line dropped a pretty goal, thereby reducing the lead. Merthyr’s second score was the outcome of inter-passing by the brothers Thomas and Sid James getting final possession. Reed failed to goal.

After the interval the Merthyr pack did better, and Harrison and Harris beating Holloway and Anlezark kept their three-quarters busy. A round of passing saw Cowmeadow get over, but. Courtney retaliated with a try for his side. Further scoring followed rapidly, Cowmeadow and James being each responsible for clever tries, neither of which was converted. After a bout of clever handling Bolewski scored a try, and just on the call of time Rosenfeldt was successful. Hedley goaled. Until the end was reached the visitors played up desperately, but the defence prevailed, and Merthyr won by 5 tries (15 points) to Australia’s 2 goals, 3 tries (13 points).

As a display the encounter was by no means attractive, and the pretty and cleverly conceived bouts of handling in which the onlookers delight were infrequent, high kicking and quick following un being chiefly resorted to as a means of attack. The forwards were fairly evenly matched, D. B. Davies, Dan Lewis, W. D. Thomas and D. Thomas being most conspicuous for Merthyr. and Abercrombie, Courtney, and Noble for the visitors. As a pair Harris and Harrison were more than a match at the fringe of the scrum for Holloway and Anlezark, although each was responsible for several excellent individual efforts.

Of the three-quarters Cowmeadow took the palm, notwithstanding the fact that he figured at centre instead of in his usual place on the wing. He was ever alert, and his pare served him to good purpose. Belewski was the best of the visitors, and took the popular fancy. Rosenfeldt also did effective service and Dobbs, until his injury, was a sound defender. Both Syd James and Smith were always a source of danger to the opposition, but Swatbridge who substituted “Ponty” Thomas, was some- what weak, and lacks experience. The rival backs, Wvatt Reed and Hedley, emerged from the contest with flying colours.