England in pole position for another Four Nations title

Scotland were down to a bare 17 after suffering three injuries on Sunday, and whilst they held their own for the first 40 minutes, they struggled after the break, suffering a 48-18 loss to England.

It means England are in pole position to win a 14th Student Four Nations title when they take on Wales on Saturday.

Fergus Simpson twisted over to give Scotland a third-minute lead. Luke Punton converted.

Joe Riley brilliantly struck back, going in under the sticks with Jack Mallinson’s conversion levelling things.

England were soon leading. Jordan Bull charged over from close range and Mallinson converted again.

Scotland levelled things on 28 minutes. Jonny Hutton scored in the corner and Punton goaled from the touchline.

The pendulum swung again when Mike Holden ran in for England’s third try and Mallinson kept up his one hundred percent kicking record to give them an 18-12 half-time lead.

The first half was even, but England dominated after the break. The increased their lead early on when Charlie McCurrie ran the ball in under the sticks and Mallinson converted.

Christian Gale took advantage of a gap for England’s fifth try. Mallinson’s kick took the score up to 30-12.

Adam Lavin was next over, under the posts to again make the conversion easy for Mallinson and the score was 36-12.

Then came a try for Iwan Orr, scored near the corner, but Mallinson still landed the kick. Matty Rudd’s try, England’s eighth, was slightly nearer the posts. Mallinson converted again to put the score up to 48-12.

Pete Burns was yellow carded with five minutes remaining but it was Scotland who went over for the final score of the game through George Murray.

Ireland were outstanding in the second half against Wales after an even first half, winning 48-26.

They led from their first attack. Harry Worsley forced his way through for an unconverted try.

Wales levelled straight away when Max Walsh dived over in the corner.

It wasn’t long before Ireland scored again. Sean Findow finished off a good move and again Thomas Ashurst couldn’t land the kick.

And once again it was Max Walsh who brought Wales level, spotting a gap and running home. Shane Lee kicked the goal then went over for a try of his own.

But Ireland levelled five minutes before the break. Nathan Connell with the try and Ashurst converting well.

And they led 18-14 at half-time when Eoin Creaby ran over unchallenged for Ireland’s fourth try which went unconverted.

Wales levelled less than three minutes into the second half when Dylan Morgan scored in the corner. Lee missed the kick.

It wasn’t level for long. From kick-off, Ireland scored again with Worsley scoring his second. Ashurst converted well.

Wales hit back again when Joe Reardon scored in the corner. Ryan Griffiths took over the kicking duties but still couldn’t add the extras. Ireland now had a slender 24-22 lead.

They increased the lead when Eoin Creaby scored his second and Ashurst kicked well from the touchline.

And when Connell picked up a loose ball to score under the sticks, that was the game for Ireland. Ashurst’s conversion gave them a 14-point lead.

Paul Bolger added to that lead, scoring under the posts with Ashurst converting.

Sam Winney scored Ireland’s ninth to rub salt into Wales’ wounds. Ashurst converted again.

Jamie Leech scored a consolation try for Wales with a minute to go.